Monday, May 27, 2013

Backpacking Escalante

School is out and it is a 3 day weekend for my husband, not to mention his birthday weekend also.  We have been planning on taking our kidlets on a little backpacking trip.  It was the first for our 7 and our little 5 year old.  Not a big one, just a small 3 to 4 miles one way and then camp, have fun and then out we go again.  It was magestic in landscape, but some of the wildlife was not so nice.  Whoever said that man was on top of the food chain, forgot about mosquitos.  There must be something in my husbands blood that he passed down to my kidlets, they were eaten alive, while I came back without a mark on me.  My youngest has Skeeter Syndrome and half his face has puffed up. Even though it looks awful, he was all smiles and laughter the entire trip. 

On our way home, I had to make a few stops.  There is a police car off on the side of the road all year round with a dumby in it.  Literally a stuffed man with a hat on, I guess they think no one will notice, but I always get a kick out of it.  Then there is a cute little town that was a little petting zoo attached to the gas station.  It has a zebra, ostrich, emu, alpacas, goats, and more.  You got to love Utah, you never know what you may find. 

Here are a little more then I usually post of our adventures from this past weekend





As we begin our hiking




 



 My Amazon Boy


a little Native American alter hidden in the landscapes of Escalante...pottery shards on the bottom left

 before his face completely swelled up



My love...the birthday boy




We call this jump Blue Bodies, because the water is so cold you become disoriented when you jump in.

Cairns for those of us who hike...



I do not know why, but this just makes me smile...people drove by wondering why I was taking a picture of a cop in his car...


starting to put rides up at the little gas station petting zoo



No comments: